Program Name: Tribal Health Department – Leah Fyten, Health Director
Last updated 9/13/2021 at 9pm
To enhance and develop health management capacity and infrastructure systems by establishing midlevel management.
1. The Master contract received additional ARP Funds and a meeting was held on budgeting
these funds on August 2, 2021 with all programs funded under that master contract.
2. The Tribal Health Director met with Youth Department on August 6 and August 30, 2021 at
the request of the Tribal Secretary.
3. Meeting with Indian Health Services to discuss the possibility of an ISDEAA 105(l) lease for
Dakotah Pride and Diabetes Wellness Center. Sara will schedule a follow up meeting with
4. The Stakeholder’s workgroup has created five sub work groups to develop the five initiatives
for the next SWO Health Plan. The initiatives are Chronic Disease Prevention, Young Well
Child Wellness Initiative, Behavioral Health, Public Health Authority Development, and
Management and Work Force Capacity Development. The draft plan is close to being
finished. Meetings were held on the implementation plan on August 12, 13, 16, 17, 23, 30, and
5. Chronic Disease Prevention meeting on July 14, 2021. This is one of the five proposed
initiatives in the draft health plan.
6. Virtual and site meetings with DSGW Feasibility Team (Mike Laverdure and Kate Grismala
(Blue Stone group) on August 5, 19, and 26, 2021. An open house with a survey and sites was
held on August 27, 2021.
7. The Tribal Health Director met with DVPI Staff and Gen I Staff on the request for a No Cost
Extension for each program on August 9 and August 19, 2021.
8. An Open House was held in the Tribal Administration Rotunda on August 27, 2021 from 10am
to 2pm. The ASUDTC Project Development Team, DSGW, Mayuteca, Dakotah Pride and
DVPI had information available about their programs, a survey on a new treatment facility and
four possible site locations.
9. Great Plains Tribal Epidemiology Center COVID19 call. These calls are scheduled every
Wednesday at 11:00am. These meetings seem to be the most valuable for Tribes.
1. Completed and submitted the Post Award Amendment for a No Cost Extension for the SWO
DVPI Project, MSPI/Mayuteca, and MSPI/Generation Indigenous.
2. Met with Bluestone Strategy on the formula to determine the need for additional beds at Dakotah
Pride and discussed levels of Care. Plans to review programming of both inpatient and outpatient
for a new facility.
3. Budgeted for a Behavioral Health Director and Administrative Assistant at SWO Behavioral
Health with Master Contract ARPA funds.
1. Native Connections Project will be done on September 30, 2021. The Tribal Health Director will
need to close out the project.
2. Waiting to hear if SWO Behavioral Health Native Connections will be funded again
3. Waiting for the Notice of Funding Opportunities for Indian Health Service grants SPIP and
SAPTA. (Formerly MSPI).
1. Site visits to White Earth Reservation and Fond Du Lac Reservation to tour their treatment
facilities. All of the ASUDTC Project Development team will attend these trips.
2. Finalize SWO Health Plan and request Roundtable with the Tribal Council
3. Schedule site visits of treatment centers for White Earth and MHA Nation.
4. Review current SWO Pandemic Policy to update with current CDC guidelines related to Delta
Variant. Will discuss bringing the screen program back to the Tribal Administration at the
request of the Tribal Chairman.
5. Prepare Interdisciplinary Team Report for the Tribal Secretary and then Tribal Council
6. Prepare Behavioral Health Director job description, advertise, and recruit for a Director